SPECIAL NOTICE: The Portage Library Consortium (PLC) is getting a new catalog and circulation system. Our new system will go LIVE on Thursday, August 31st. Access to the SearchOhio and OhioLINK catalogs has been temporarily suspended.
The Portage Library Consortium (PLC)- comprised of Kent Free Library, Portage County District Library (PCDL), and Reed Memorial- is getting a new catalog and circulation system. In addition, to make this move to the new circulation system. Access to SearchOhio and OhioLINK has become temporarily unavailable. New holds cannot be placed during this transition, which has been currently estimated to take several months.The new system is scheduled to go "live" on Thursday, August 31st.
Why is PLC making these changes?
There are a few reasons for this change in catalog and circulation systems, and they include:
- The new system will mean improved access to our catalog for our library users.
- The new catalog will have more features for better searching.
- The current circulation system is 14 years-old and is no longer being developed.
- The new system will be a cost savings. The current system's pricing has increased 3.5% or more every year. The lower cost of the new system will remain the same for the next seven years.
- The new system has more features and is more robust which means better service for our users.
Library users will notice:
- An improved catalog where they can see more formats in one place.
- Better search options in the catalog to help them find what they want.
- A feature that allows them to opt in for keeping track of their reading history.
- An ability to text information to their phone.
- An ability to call the new system to renew by phone 24/7.