A library card is available free to anyone who lives, works, owns property, or goes to school in Ohio. Identification that verifies current address is required. A parent's or guardian's signature is required for cardholders under age 18. Cards are honored in any Portage Library Consortium library (any branch of the Portage County District Library, Kent Free Library, and Reed Memorial Library). Cards are not transferable and there is a charge for replacement cards.
All library materials, except Children's Kits, may be renewed two times, if there are no holds on the items. Materials may be renewed in person, at a Portage County library, by phone, or online. Please call your local PCDL branch library to renew Children's Kits. Our online catalog provides access to materials in all public libraries in the county. Reserve requests may be placed for most materials.
*Renewals are generally two times, dependent on demand for the item. Vacation loans are available for most items.
Item Loan Periods:
Mobile Hotspots- 2 weeks, must be 18 or older to borrow
Books, Recorded Books on CD, Music CDs, Magazines- 2 weeks
DVDs- 2 weeks, must be 18 or older to borrow
Video Games- 2 weeks, must be 18 or older to borrow
Children's Kits- 2 weeks, must be 18 or older to borrow
SEARCHOHIO Materials- Generally 3 weeks
OHIOLINK Materials- Generally 3 weeks (except non-book items, 7 days and cannot be renewed)
PCDL is now fine free:
1. PCDL is now fine free. Therefore, no fines will be charged on overdue materials- even if the items are long overdue. This pertains to overdue fines only and not to lost or damaged materials and excludes SearchOhio and OhioLINK materials as well as the mobile hotspots.
2. All PCDL materials are checked out for a two-week loan period and due dates still apply. Library cards will still be blocked when materials are a month overdue. The costs for lost or damaged items will still be applied. When charges on a borrower’s card total $50 or more, the account is assessed a $10 fee and sent to a collection agency. Anyone who returns long overdue items can have the fines waived, but will still owe the $10 collection agency fee.
3. SearchOhio item fines are 50¢ per item, per day. In addition, a non-negotiable replacement charge of $25 has been set by the SearchOhio consortium for any damaged or lost items.
4. OhioLINK item fines are 50¢ per item, per day. An item 30 days or more overdue will incur a $125 fine. In addition, a non-negotiable replacement charge has been set for any damaged or lost items.
5. Mobile hotspot overdue fines are $1.00 each day. Full replacement is $50.00.